The Mint is partnering with the Bechtler, Harvey B. Gantt Center for African American Arts + Culture, and the Levine Museum of the New South to unroll a joint project known as Interactive CLT that brings augmented reality into museum galleries.
With support from the Arts & Science Council, AVO Insights have created an app that allows visitors to the museum the opportunity to see videos about select pieces in the galleries. After opening the app, hover your phone over the indicated works of art, and a video about the art appears. Senior Curator of American Art Jonathan Stuhlman, PhD, and Community Relations Director Rubie Britt-Height lead visitors thorough the galleries to highlight works of art that speak to racial justice and the experience of being black in America.
by Leo Twiggs
by Augusta Savage
by Barbara Pennington
by Beverly McIver
Philip the Fair
by Kehinde Wiley
Interventions is a new series at the Mint in which contemporary works are placed amongst permanent collection installations to create a critical dialogue between past and present.
Installation is on view now
Charlotte artist and muralist Irisol Gonzalez relocated with her family to the United States from Costa Rica. When they moved, their traditional gatherings and family heirlooms lost their geographical specificity. Gonzalez mines these traditions for the stories contained within the installation Unearthing Jade. Most often, the bedrock she finds there is machismo, the elevation and celebration of masculine strength and pride above all else. Gonzalez’s installation reminds us that art begins as a reflection of its time and engagement with culture, and, over time, becomes an artifact of that moment.
Where to find it
“Art of the Ancient Americas” gallery on the second floor of Mint Museum Randolph
• Lavarse Las Manos,2020, acrylic on linen. On loan from artist.
• Quinceañera #1 & #2, 2021, acrylic on linen.
• A Woman’s Cycle, 2021, acrylic on linen. On loan from the artist.
• A Cycle of Pain, 2021, acrylic on linen. On loan from the artist.
• Adorning Value, 2021, Resin. On loan from the artist.
• Machismo #9, 2021, acrylic on wood. On loan from the artist.
• Machismo #10, 2021, acrylic on wood. On loan from the artist.
• Burial axe, jadeite, On loan from the artist
• Advertencia Mamás Machistas, 2020, screen print on plastic. On loan from the artist